Saturday, April 11, 2020

Bloodroot (Sanguinaria Canadensis)

Here is a pretty little wildflower which I planted from bare root stock years ago.  It has been ticking away in a quiet corner of the shade garden, never really making much of itself until this year, it suddenly made itself known in the most stylish way. A big tree back there lost an overhanging branch, so perhaps the increased sunshine last summer set the roots up with extra energy for this super-bloom?

Bloodroot--prettiest season yet!


The original patch self-seeded (by ants!) or perhaps spread from underground rhizomes to show up as several different patches, evidently blooming in succession: the  mother patch blooms first, and the daughter colonies afterwards, in order of geographical spread. Interesting.

Mother colony blooms first (and best!)

Also interesting their semi-double appearance, although the original rootstock was sold as a single. (And, the smaller daughter colonies are still singles!)

There are more fully-double bloodroots, ("multiplex" is the variety name) but I think the one I have is the perfect intermediary: a fully double wildflower doesn't seem very "wild."

Semi double

In a time of trial, the natural rhythms of the world are a comfort.




1 comment :

  1. I have missed you and am glad to see you're gardening. I can understand why you took four years off, but maybe things are getting better now.
    For years I grew bloodroot and scilla together. They bloom at the same time and are very pretty together. I lost the bloodroot. They died when I moved them to our retirement house and the replacements I order arrive DOA every time.

    ReplyDelete