Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bulbs in pots--planning now to chase the winter blues

tulips-to-be
As part of my bulb mania, today's chore is to plant out bulbs in old plastic pots I have laying around all over the shed.  The idea is that I will have a house full of spring bulbs at a very cut-rate:  at 40 tulip bulbs for $6.00 on sale, that ought to make up at least 4 pots of tulip bulbs.  Of course, I didn't just buy one bag. The soil will be ordinary garden soil, dug out of a bed and returned to the same bed in spring.  I'll keep the pots in the root cellar for a week or two, watered and above freezing so the bulbs can put down roots, then move them to the unheated shed.  The shed has windows--so the little bulbs can tell that days are getting longer, if they want to know.  After a couple of months of Wisconsin winter weather, I'll bring the pots into the house, a pot or two each week.  We'll see if this doesn't produce a rotation of growing bulbs in the house.

Anyhow, I have to do something to stave off the winter blues.
--TK

No comments :

Post a Comment